Wednesday, April 17, 2024

266, 267. Ben Ime (118, P600 59) , Beinn Narnain (259). 14/04/2024

The previous day had been a washout which included: getting very wet, walking for 4h without being able to see anything, failing to cross a large stream because the torrent would have been above our knees and calling Mountain Rescue to assist some fellow walkers in trouble.

This made me determined to get a decent walk in before driving south, despite (yet again) poor forecast. Chris was less fussed. Despite 70mph winds and lots of rain on the mountain forecast, I had optimistically noted that prior to 10am the local forecast did appear dry, so that's when I decided to walk!

The schedule went as follows: 
  • 05:40: wake up
  • 05:55: leave hotel, eating "breakfast" on foot (half a packet of biscuits)
  • 06:02: start route
  • 08:15: summit Ben Ime
  • 09:25: summit Beinn Narnain
  • 10:47: finish route
  • 10:55: quick wash and change
  • 11:00: hotel checkout
This was a strategy I hadn't really tried before (being rather a breakfast traditionalist), but I'd recommend. There was probably a point about an hour in where I felt a bit lower than usual on energy, but it passed quickly. The views in the (brief) early morning sunshine were spectacular and I had the trail to myself until returning to Beinn Narnain.

The path as far as the three-way junction between these two hills and the cobbler was also excellent - so much so that I failed to find the tiny worn stream that was the actual route up Beinn Narnain. In the end I was glad to tackle them this way round as it meant the weather was behind me more often than not.

I made good time and stayed dry until climbing Beinn Narnain when I had snow. I only got (the less preferable) rain on the final descent. All-in-all I was pleased to beat the weather gods and complete the 17km and 1300m of ascent in 4h45.

Narnain and the Cobbler at first light

Ben Ime still clear of cloud

In the mist at the top of Beinn Narnain

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home